We have some personnel issues to resolve in Episode 5 of “The Drill.” It’s our first attempt to work around one of our key contributor’s schedule — we usually do this on a Monday but it was pushed back to Wednesday afternoon to accommodate producer Jon flying in late from Reno after doing an NBA G-League broadcast. But that also precluded Beto Duran from being available.
So, like good journalists, we adapted and this is how it came out.
With that, our cheat sheet reference guide to a 40-minute show:
* How does “Beto” translate from Spanish to English? One definition given is “lucky bastard.” Bueno.
* The Reno Bighorns vs. the South Bay Lakers game info from the Reno Gazette Journal (and nothing from any L.A. news outlet)
* Where is OB’s in Manhattan Beach? The locals know. For the rest of you ….
* The Galaxy/LAFC game story from last Saturday.
* The Angel City Brigade section: A real thing at Galaxy games in StubHub Center.
* Illustrator/contributor Jim Thompson has this take on the game:
* Another fine eating establishment recommendation: The Local Place on Western off the 405, next to the Kings Hawaiian factory… Because Kings Hawaiian supplies the grub in the Dodger Stadium left-field pavilion, including killer chicken wings not available at their restaurants.
* Are the Rams “Taking a Win-Now Experiment to Its Limit”? TheRinger.com asks, as do we.
* From “The Business” segment: The Facebook Mets-Phillies broadcast had left many flustered.
* Could this help Eric’s Tinder profile?
*More on the ESPN+ OTT service, and its new deal with the Ivy League. Smart move?
* Time Magazine has made note of the new NBA2K league. It’s about time …
* Look at the numbers once posted by Elgin Baylor, who gets a statue outside of Staples Center this weekend … And for those who want to compare Baylor’s career to Michael Olowokandi, it is here.
* Video does exist of Ty Cobb hitting a baseball:
* We found the odds at 15/1 that Ohtani will hit more home runs than he allows. (And 3/2 odds reference that Mike Trout finishes second in the AL MVP balloting for the fourth time in his career)
* The HBO show from 1996-2002 that you should be glad you missed: “Arli$$”
So now, do us a small favor: Give us some feedback. What do you want to see more/less on this show? What’s missing (aside from some graphics). What’s worthy of subtracting (don’t say Beto) …